A DAY WITH THE JUDGES
One Day Only – Friday, October 18, 2019
National Mid-Year Meeting of the ACLM* and WILM**Practical CME (12 Hours) and CLE (7 Hours) Conference
Embassy Suites Oklahoma City Downtown/Medical Center Hotel
741 N Phillips Ave, Oklahoma City, OK
- Implications of Ethics for Medicine and Law Professionals
- Boundary Crossings and Violations – Nonsexual and Sexual
- Ethical, Medical and Legal Aspects of Prescribing Opioids
- Recommending Medicinal Marijuana (Cannabis)
- The Drug Court
- Consequences of Unprofessional Conduct: Administrative, Licensing Board, Civil and Criminal Actions
This continuing medical and legal education seminar is designed for professionals who would like to improve their ethical knowledge and practices. It will also present updates on controlled substances, opioids, medicinal marijuana (Cannabis), the Drug Court and Liability issues.
Attendees will learn best practices that will ensure that their ethical knowledge and behaviors meet applicable standards, laws, and regulations. These skills will help improve medical care and law practice, and will help ensure that attendees’ practices conform to ethical requirements. This course with enduring materials and Supplementary Pre-course materials fills a gap in professional training. The Supplementary Pre-Course Materials for Medical Ethics and Professionalism include Practical Medical Ethics and Professionalism; they account for six of the 12 CME hours described below.
Speakers and Moderators:
- The Honorable Noma D.Gurich, Program Co-Chair, Chief Justice, Oklahoma Supreme Court
- S. Sandy Sanbar, MD, PhD, JD, FCLM, Program Chair, Physician-Attorney, ACLM Past President, WILM Vice-President
- The Honorable Chief Justice Noma Gurich
Oklahoma Supreme Court, Program Co-Chair
- The Honorable Judge Scott Rowland, Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals
- The Honorable Judge Michael Tupper
Cleveland County District Court, Re: Drug Courts
- The Honorable Judge Michael Tupper, Cleveland County District Court, Re: Drug Courts
- The Honorable District Judge Leah Edwards, McClain County Courthouse
- The Honorable Mike Hunter, Oklahoma State Attorney General
- Commissioner Terri L. White, MSW, The Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Chief Agent Craig Williams, Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics And Dangerous Drugs Control
- Mary J. Wall, MD, JD, FCLM, ACLM Secretary, Past President, Ohio State Medical Association, Bellevue, Ohio
- Marvin Firestone, MD, JD, FCLM, Physician-Attorney, President, WILM, San Mateo, California
- Lyle R. Kelsey, MBA, CAE, CMBE , Executive Director, Oklahoma Medical Board, Oklahoma City
- Ghazi Rayan, MD, Orthopedic and Hand Surgeon, Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery and Adjunct Professor of Anatomy, OUHSC: Director, Oklahoma Hand Fellowship Program, INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center, OKC
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of the American College of Legal Medicine and the Western Institute of Legal Medicine. The American College of Legal Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
7:00 A.M. – Reception Desk Open, Registration, Sign in, and Continental Breakfast
SESSION ONE –ETHICS AND PROFESSIONALISM Moderators: Chief Justice Noma Gurich and Ghazi Rayan, MD
8:00 – 8:30 A.M. – Crossing and Violating Ethical Boundaries (Speaker: Sandy Sanbar, MD, PhD, JD, Program Chair)
8:30 – 9:00 A.M. – Consequences of Unprofessional Conduct (Speaker: Marvin Firestone, MD, JD, President WILM)
9:00 – 9:30 A.M. – Professional Ethics – A view from the Bench (Speaker: Chief Justice Noma Gurich, Program Co-Chair)
9:30 – 10:00 A.M. – Panel Discussion – Questions and Answers (Speakers and Moderators)
10:00 A.M. – 10:15 A.M. – BREAK
SESSION TWO – MARIJUANA (CANNABIS)
Moderators: Chief Justice Noma Gurich and Sandy Sanbar, MD, PhD, JD
10:15 – 10:45 A.M. – Medical Marijuana – Public Health Concerns (Speaker: Commissioner Terri White, ODMHSAS)
10:45 – 11:15 A.M. – Marijuana and Opioid Abuse, Diversion and PMP Speaker: Chief Agent Craig Williams, OBN)
11:15 – 11:45 A.M. – Marijuana Abuse – A view from the bench (Speaker: Judge Leah Edwards, McClain County)
11:45 – 12:15 P.M. – Panel Discussion – Questions and Answers (Speakers and Moderators)
12:15 P.M. – 1:15 P.M. – LUNCH (provided as part of registration)
SESSION THREE – OPIOID CRISES
Moderators: Chief Justice Noma Gurich and Lyle R. Kelsey, MBA, CAE, CMBE
1:15 – 1:45 P.M. – Opioid Abuse and the Drug Court – (Speakers: Judge Michael Tupper, Cleveland County and Judge Leah Edwards, McClain County)
1:45 – 2:15 P.M. – Opioids – Licensing Board and Civil actions (Speaker: Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter)
2:15 – 2:45 P.M. – Opioids – Criminal Actions (Speaker: Judge Scott Rowland, Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals)
2:45 – 3:15 P.M. – Panel Discussion – Questions and Answers (Speakers and Moderators)
3:15 P.M. ADJOURN
NOTE: In addition to the live presentations, 6 Hours CME, there is also a Supplemental Pre-Course study materials on Professional Ethics, up to 6 more Hours of CME for clinicians.
* ACLM – American College of Legal Medicine. ** WILM – Western Institute of Legal Medicine
IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the live presentations, 6 Hours CME, there is also a Supplemental Pre-Course study materials on Professional Ethics, up to 6 more Hours of CME for clinicians.
Hotel Location and How to Reserve a Room.
BE SURE TO STATE THE NAME OF OUR MEETING TO GET A DISCOUNT
Contact: Shaina Bennett, Sales Manager Embassy Suites Oklahoma City Downtown /Medical Center 741 North Phillips Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Sales Office: 405-772-1182 TEL: +1-405-239-3900 FAX: +1-405-239-3901
Convenient access to Lincoln Boulevard, The State Capitol, Interstate 2-35, and the Bricktown Entertainment District. Perfect location for a Conference.
Overnight Accommodations Sleeping Rooms Through 10/17/19 Standard Suites
Nightly Suite Room Rates
Single Rate and Double Rate: $149.00
Triple Rate $159.00
Quad Rate Standard Suites $169.00
Each additional guest above two occupants will incur a $10.00/person/night fee to cover cost of breakfast and managers reception.
Guest rooms are subject to applicable taxes (Currently at 14.125% tax)
Hotel Parking Space
Event Only guests will have complimentary parking.
Parking Fees apply to overnight guests only
Self-Parking is available for all registered hotel guests at a rate of $12.00/Day. Self-parking spaces are limited and available on a first come – first served basis. The hotel offers a valet parking option once the lot has reached its capacity.